Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Sydney: Can you say “Love"?

My final impressions of Sydney have left me longing for an expedition and with the internal understanding that this is “the start to something good”. What an amazing way to start this journey of discovery. Have you ever felt that you are in the place that you are meant to be, at that very moment in time? Well, that is how I felt in Sydney. 

Sydney is a large city, an ideal mix between San Francisco and San Diego. Pure Perfection. I found the people to be friendly and helpful. I found the city to be large, yet walkable, clean and safe. 

Although it rained two of the four days we were in Sydney, the city managed to entice my energy and dance with my spirit. I may just have to return sooner rather than later. I know Australia has a lot to offer, but city-wise, it may just be my new favorite (lo siento Prague, San Francisco, and Barcelona). 

On the first day we arrived, after the cell-phone mishap, we felt “quite chipper” and we decided to hop aboard the public ferry, with close to 1,000 other people. We headed out to Manly Beach, although in our jet-lagged trance we missed the beautiful part and just sat at the ferry terminal sipping a cold cider and eating prawns. 





Suddenly, tiredness engulfed us and it was time to head back to the hotel. We swiftly changed our clothes and hopped into bed by 8:00pm. 

A glorious 13 hours later, we awoke, ready to take on the day. With much disappointment we opened our curtains to see rain. That was OK, I was able to retrieve my phone by taking the subway back to the airport. I love taking public transportation, this where you find the heart of any city or town. You see how local people interact with their environment. I also was able to go to George Street (much like 5th Avenue), as I was having computer issues and needed to visit the Apple Store. (This is when I realized I am completely dependent on technology…check my email when I wake up, check Facebook while brushing my teeth, and text while running). 

Anyway, this evening we also signed up for a dinner cruise. Emily and I boarded a large boat with several 70 somethings and overpaid for a buffet, which could have been on any dinner cruise in the USA. We did manage to see the fireworks among large drops of rain (it was Australia Day). Hey, we were tourists, it’s what we do. 






The next day, it continued to rain, so we darted in and our of stores, to which I refused to do much spending. Later in the evening we again overpaid and went to a ritzy, nuovo sushi restaurant- when all of a sudden, I spotted a rat. The rat proceeded to whiz in between tables, however when I saw it on the bench of the sunken table we were seated at, I jumped up. The hostess quickly moved us to a new table away from where our rodent friend was spotted. We thought we would be compensated, at least for a drink, but no such luck. 

On the morning of our third day, we headed off to Paddy's Market. Being the nice Irish bird that I am, thoughts about Celtic Crosses, Guinness, and Cable Knit Sweaters came to mind. On the contrary...this is China Town! Anything you would ever want is in this large market, anything from trinkets to clothes to fruits, veggies, spices, and meats. Quite interesting! I did score some really comfy, colorful, and 'oh so, south pacific' pants and a pair of shorts :) 


Seems to be a trend-the Maori (New Zealand) saying is also: Good Will To All Man Kind



 On our third day, we decided to again play “Tommy tourist” and did the much talked about Bridge Climb. It was an experience, all-be-it- in the pouring rain. I mean it was raining so hard, I thought I felt hail. I would recommend this tour, however what I later found out is that for a MUCH smaller fee you can climb the tower, get a little history of the bridge, and get the same view. OR for the low-low cost of FREE, you can walk across the bridge. Oh well, I am very happy to have experienced it. I conquered a little fear of heights and saw some amazing views. 



I MADE IT@ (YOUTUBE VIDEO OF ME AT THE TOP)

Our last night in Sydney was by far my favorite. We were able to walk through the Botanical Gardens. It was quiet and peaceful as the glowing sun was setting on Sydney and the flowers, trees, and vines danced in this dim light. What a magical way to see my new love, the city of Sydney. We then meandered our way to the Opera House. Had a drink by the harbour, listened to music, and had a late dinner. It was a crisp and clear evening and the city glowed. 



Sydney Harbour at night



On our last day, Emily was flying out to Cairns, so she packed up early. However, I had a bit of time before my flight to Wellington, so I was able to take a FREE walking tour. This was fabulous. I learned the history of Australia and Sydney, saw places that I never would have found otherwise and met some interesting people. I met three single women in their late 20s-early 30s all from the UK. They each were traveling separately. All of them had primarily traveled the world ALONE. They either signed up for group tours or met people in their travels and traveled to see them. I was so intrigued by this and equally inspired. The women had been to China, the USA, the South Pacific, Japan, and Africa all on organized tours. After my conversation with them, I had this huge desire to travel, and to travel alone, what a novel idea! Perhaps their bank accounts aren’t as limited as mine, but I will be researching tours in Africa and Asia. I’m quite keen on this idea of single travel and meeting new people. We’ll see what the future holds. 





Australia's Coat of Arms- The only country in the world that eats its Coat of Arms animals: Kangaroo and Emu
Little Fun Fact: Both animals do not walk backwards, it is said that Australia hopes to never go backwards in time. 

Alley with bird cages hanging and bird noises being played. No worries here, there aren't real birds in the cages, but the names of indigenous birds are carved into the ground.



After this marvelous tour, I retraced my steps to the Customs House (part of the public library), sat outside in the sunshine and had a leisurely lunch, listening to music and watching people. I then went back to the hotel, retrieved my bags and headed off for the next part of my journey. Wellington. 



No comments:

Post a Comment