Friday, February 6, 2015

When the Big Wind Blows


While the wind and rain has made the transition into New Zealand more trying, the weather has been a good introductory lesson into life here. What I've learned so far is getting frustrated at the wind just gets your skirt wrapped around your head! Just the same, allowing the little "stuff" (and it's all little stuff)  such as learning the bus system, the wifi connections, or how to work the cell-phones, just makes your skirt (or your brain) in a tizzy if you let it.  Those annoyances, which sometimes can seem so taxing because they are so easy at home, have become great lessons. Those 'gnats' are only irritating because they make me feel as if I am not quite secure enough in this new world. However, a little vulnerability allows one to stay humble. With this self-effacing realization, gratitude radiates my heart for all of the WONDERFUL, GIVING people I have come across thus far! I have learned to appreciate how helpful and positive people have been, everyone from bus drivers, bank tellers, to immediate new close friends. When I sit back and reflect, it is truly awesome.
On my way to becoming a Wellingtonian


Here are the ways I have felt love within my first week as a Wellingtonian (in no particular order):

Feeling of Love Number One: Bryan and Michelle insisted on picking me up from the airport at midnight. Bryan met me with Kate, their 17 year old daughter. Bryan then gave me a quick tour of Wellington on our late night drive from the airport. When I arrived at their lovely home, both kids (Louis-15, Kate-17) stayed up with Bryan and Michelle , and we talked until close to 2am! ( I should mention that their love was felt before I left the States with multiple Skypes and offerings of assistance). That next morning, I was able to sleep in, shower, and then Bryan toured me around, as well as got me settled with my cell-phone and groceries. What a relief!
View from Bryan and Michelle's home! 
Feeling of Love Number Two: I landed in Beverly Randell and Susan Price's apartment. They have opened their beautiful home, with a self-contained 2 bedroom flat on their first level. What a thrill to meet this legend, especially as we  casually sat down and discussed education for an hour or more!


My living room in Beverly Randell's home.
Feeling of Love Number Three:  On my second day in NZ, Michelle, Bryan, and Kate picked me up and we toured around Wellington.  We visited the beautiful suburbs of Wellington, the Weta Cave Workshop (Peter Jackson- Lord of the Rings),  and the amazing views of Mt. VIC and to the chagrin of my waistline,  I had my first Hokey Pokey Ice Cream. They then had me to their house for a beautiful BBQ. At around 9pm Michelle and Kate brought me to my house and then allowed me to change and refresh so that I could meet my fellow Fulbright Teacher Scholars for an evening in town. Michelle dropped me off in Wellington to visit with my friends.


View from Mt Victoria





Weta Cave Workshop
Feeling of Love Number Four:  Meeting with my fellow Fulbright friends, Lauren and Seth, on one of my first evenings. It was so wonderful to be connected with them on one of my first nights in New Zealand. There is is sense that these are my people- we are family. Not only Seth and Lauren, but the rest of our lot- Den, Shahnaz, Cheri, Hakan...it is a blessing to be around like minded people, we can have fun and laugh, yet also switch instantaneously to professional discussions without feeling out of place.  I am honored to be in their cohort. There is a reason we all are together. We have discovered some of these reasons and as the next few months unfold, we will uncover more reasons why the universe has brought us together.
Fellow Fulbright Distinguished Award in Teaching Recipients 

Feeling of Love Number Five: The bus driver. I was trying to take the bus to the Karori Campus of VIC (Victoria University), no small task for this newbie. As I got on the # 3 bus, I asked the bus driver if this was the bus to the VIC Karori Campus, he replied "No, bus #23". I got off and looked  bashfully  at my bus map. However, three seconds later, the bus driver stopped the bus (full of passengers on the busiest street in the city), got off, and told me "No, I'm sorry,  please get on my bus, I was wrong". I couldn't believe it! A bus driver in the capital city stopped his bus, got off, and invited me back on! (And no one seemed annoyed, people gleefully offered their further assistance). 
It's not the bus, but it the Cable Car, one way I get into the city . Public transport  at its best!(Pretty cool view, too!)

Feeling of Love Number Six: ASB Bank. Thanks to Michelle and Bryan, they set up an appointment with the bank so I could set up a bank account in NZ. Contrary to the information given to me by my USA bank, I could not easily do a wire transfer from NZ. I needed to initiate this transaction through a conversation with my bank in the USA. The bank manager at the NZ bank tried every which way for me to call my bank at home, after about 30 minutes we did reach my bank who kept telling me they could not help me until tomorrow at 9am (to which I replied that would be my 3am!) moreover, I will forever remember the help from Teharo.

Feeling of Love Number Seven: Dinner with my alumni host. My Fulbright alumni host is a well-known veteran in the education field. Bill, a Ministry of Education official who is well known in New Zealand and his dear wife, Sally, who is a principal of a local school, hosted Seth (fellow Fulbright Teacher) and I for a lovely dinner at their Wadestown home overlooking the city. They welcomed Seth and myself into their home for dinner, offered any help we may need, and offered their home as their own. 
Bill and Sally Barret, my lovely Fulbright alumni hosts
Feeling of Love Number Eight: Everyone says "See ya". What a friendly gesture at the end of every casual conversation. I love that the store clerks say "See ya" and "No Worries" like they know they will see you again and that they are happy to help without reservation. 

Feeling of Love Number Nine:  Although I am living in a city, much the size of Providence or New Haven, if you ask a businessman for directions, he will turn up from his thoughts, first smile, and then gladly point you on your way. He ensures you know what direction you are going.

Feeling of Love Number Ten: Although I am just about as far as you can get away from home, the support I have been given by old friends, family, new friends, and strangers, keeps me grounded and feeling blessed. Kia Ora. 
Nick Jackson, fellow PC Friar from Wellington who connected me to Bryan and Michelle! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH, NICK!


Carolyn Brum, wonderful family friend who connected me with Nick, who in turn connected me with Bryan and Michelle. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!
* Next blog will be about our wonderful, educational, and enriching stay at the Marae and visit to Parliament . It promises to be more educational. 

No comments:

Post a Comment