Sunday, March 29, 2015

Ki a Māmā me te aroha nui

Green Lake
Have you ever felt so excited that you quietly smile to yourself in anticipation or you feel radiant as you await an event? This is how I felt as I waited for my mother's arrival. 

Some Island hike (Wellington)
My mom and I visited some stunning sites, and while we may have had a few moments of frustration after several long car rides, I am grateful that I was able to explore beautiful New Zealand with my mom. I am blessed to not only have visited some amazing awe-inspiring vistas, but also to do so with my confidante and friend. We have been very fortunate to have traveled throughout the world together, however the experience of being in a country that is just about as far away as you can go before hitting Antarctica was once in a lifetime! 

When my mom first arrived, she settled in and we explored Wellington a bit. Of course, she planned a birthday celebration for me, we visited with friends, and we planned our Wellington to Auckland trip. 
Hot springs, photo-bombed by some Aussies (on our drive to Rotorua)

This was a different kind of trip, as we weren't visiting buildings from Before Christ or museums that held artistic masterpieces, but we were able to appreciate the magnificence of the world around us. Hiking on Somes Island, swimming in hot springs, walking in the Humarana Springs, tramping in the Okere Falls, all allowed us to enjoy nature in its purest form.  I was proud of my mom, I know these were all things that she has never done before, however she really showed me that she is a woman who will try anything! She also showed me that she appreciates the gifts that Mother Nature has bestowed to us.We haven't spent a large amount of time exploring nature together, therefore it was wonderful to spend a significant amount of time observing the natural world together.
Humarana Springs (Rotorua)
Okere Falls (Rotorua)
After spending a week in Wellington, we began our drive from Wellington to Rotorua.  While in Rotorua highlights included a stop in Lake Taupo, seeing the Huka Falls,walking the Humarana Springs, swimming in hot springs, tramping in the Okere Falls, witnessing the boiling mud pools, experiencing the Mitai Moari Village 
Yes, it was delicious!
and visiting the Blue and Green Lakes. 
Green Lake ~ Blue Lake

After staying in Rotorua for two nights, we traveled the twisty, curvy Pacific Coast Highway to Otama Beach on the Coromandel Coast. Although this road seemed like an endless path, it was well worth the journey. Remote... peaceful... bliss. I'm convinced sleeping to the lapping waves, and on one evening, falling asleep to the pitter-pat of the rain against the tin roof, is the world's way of hugging you. Each day I woke up with a smile on my face. The pure natural beauty refreshed our souls. 




We spent our time collecting seashells, reading, being quiet in the earth's grace, and, of course, solving all of the world's problems! 



View from our bach (as in bachelor ) 






 
We were sad to leave, but we packed the car and drove to Auckland. On our way we stopped at Cathedral Cove, Hahei, and Hot Water Beach. 
 Hot Water  Beach...when the waves roll in and your feet sink down, it is hard to stay for very long, hot, hot, hot.
 Cathedral Cove- Quite the "tramp" down and back, but well worth it!

Dare I say, I fell in love with another city? We stayed in the charming neighborhood of Ponsonby, in Auckland. The people were helpful, cheerful, and extremely friendly. Although this is a large city we found it to be clean and very easy to get around. There are stunning sites of turquoise water, while also being a very cosmopolitan city. We very much enjoyed Auckland.
                                                   View from lunch on Waiheke Island
                                
On our first day in Auckland we took the 30 minute ferry to Waiheke Island. A charming village, magnificent views, and chic vineyards abound. After wine tasting, we sat on the hillside and marinated in the view of the islands, sea, and the city in the background. 



On our last day, we were able to explore Auckland city proper~ Sky Tower, take away lunch on the waterfront, the Auckland Arts Festival, and an afternoon cocktail whilst listening to live music at America's Cup Marina~ We finished our stay with a lively concert and dance performance in the evening. 
 
<-----Sky Tower (tried to convince mom to bungee with me)

                                       Auckland Arts Festival

 
   America's Cup Marina
Moorish architecture of the Civic Theatre
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you, mi madre, for visiting, and bringing your energetic and kind spirit with you. Thank you for experiencing new challenges and for witnessing unspoiled natural beauty with me. 

 
 

He kotuku rerenga tahi
A white heron flies once
Something very special and unusual has taken place




1 comment:

  1. Breathtaking photos! What an amazing (life-changing) adventure! I am thrilled for you!!

    ReplyDelete