Monday, April 13, 2015

Solo South Island Soul Searching: Soul Found

Solo South Island Soul Searching: Soul Found


Ka pū te ruha, ka hao te rangatahi.

(The old net is cast aside, while the new net goes a-catching)



As I set off on a 10 day journey, I did not realize that part of my 'net' or self would be left along the winding roads that I drove for hours and that a new 'net' would be found. When I left my friends at the Franz Joseph Glacier, after stopping to say a few prayers of gratitude at a small Catholic church, and driving through the bush, there was a distinct moment when I found me. At 33 years old, I literally said out loud, "I've found myself" and felt suddenly whole, stable, and sure. Finally, after many years of being alone, I embraced being quiet with myself,  figured out how to truly be kind to myself, and how to enjoy solitude. I warmly accepted the power to decide when and how to spend my time. I sang at the top of my lungs, sat for picnic lunches, stopped for a quick hike, and halted the car 50-odd times to to take one spectacular picture after another... and it didn't bother anyone, just added glory to my experience. Along the way I had enriching conversations with people from around the world: The Netherlands, Scotland, England, Ireland, France, The USA, Malaysia, Japan, and from all over New Zealand. I talked with people who had traveled throughout Southeast Asia, Egypt, Australia, South Africa, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, South America, Nepal, India...The world suddenly became small and attainable. 


                                Sometimes it's frightening to not see the road ahead...

Additionally, around each corner I gasped from the beauty. The pictures in no way capture the stunning grandeur of this 'land of the long white cloud'. Rainbows connected mountains, crystal blue lakes were at the basin of jagged backdrops, waterfalls bellowed over green hills, and lush ecology abounded. 


...But the sun always comes out and guides you to where you are going

As I traveled to the Doubtful Sounds, along the most expensive road in New Zealand, the tour guide explained the new growth of the trees, mosses, and greenery in this way... "What you see is what was here, what is meant to be, and what will forever be" and "The earth will take care of itself, it will nurture itself, rejuvenate, and reinvent itself". What a perfect metaphor for my first solo trip. 

Please enjoy the South Island Slideshow I have put together. Please let me know if you have any questions about the places and pictures. (Slideshow is best if it's not full screen). 



No comments:

Post a Comment